Sunday, September 30, 2007

Am I a kid again?

As we grow into adults, we stop doing "kid" things. But I truly wonder just what defines something as a "kid" thing. As a teenager I participated in many activities that I no longer do now, but why did I stop.

I used to bowl a lot. I had my own ball, joined a league or two over the years, and I enjoyed it. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I was bowling. I'm pretty sure I've been as an "adult", but I can't remember.

But I really want to talk about Roller Skating. How many Friday and Saturday nights as a teen were spent at the Roller Rink. How many parties were had in one of those back rooms, where you really didn't care about the party, you just wanted to get out and skate. So when was the last time you were on a pair of skates?

Adult Roller Blading is popular enough, I see them all the time when Lisa and I are walking down the boardwalk. But when was the last time you put on a pair of rented skates, and wheeled around the rink for an hour or so. Now it may sound dumb, but there's a lot of benefits to it. Lisa and I decided to do so last night, and I had fun. Lisa was a little hesitant out there, and took some spills, but then it's been a lot longer for her than it was for me. For me though it was the proverbial bicycle, after a few minutes I was back into the groove.

So we're cruising around the rink and what do I see? More appropriately what don't I see? Other adults. We kinda figured that going in, and it wasn't completely barren. There was one other couple put there, but they had a handful of small children with them. And in the end I'm not sure why not. Like I said, I had fun. There's something about the care freeness of just spinning around the rink. Another thing is that it's a great workout. Lisa said that the time we spent there earned her 10 Activity Points, and I'll say that I didn't see too many fat kids out on the rink. Now there's probably some Catch-22 in that statement, but I'll take getting fit where I can.

Lisa and I plan on doing it again. It was a fun activity, and doesn't cost that much. For about the same price as a movie ticket, we got admission and skate rental. For that price we could have skated for up to 4 hours, instead of watching a 2 hour movie. There's no popcorn involved, and we're doing something instead of sitting in a seat the whole time.

So how serious are we about this? We were actually looking at buying our own skates this afternoon :)

No comments: